When the colder, winter months approach, many of us start to feel under the weather.
The change in temperature and the addition of heating creates the perfect breeding ground for bugs.
In this post, I'll show you how to boost your immune system and stay fit and fabulous, naturally.
Natural remedies to keep you healthy and energised
Along with Echinacea and Vitamin C that help us combat those coughs and colds, there are many amazing foods and herbs that act as natural antibiotics...
· Garlic – powerful natural antibiotic that doesn’t kill of the body’s own friendly bacteria like drug antibiotics do. It is anti viral and antifungal so really can help to clear infections. Garlic also helps to activate liver enzymes to flush out toxins from the body.
· Squeeze of lemon in water - boosts the immune system, revitalises and refreshes the body. Especially great for clearing throat infections.
· Active Manuka honey – Add a touch of antibacterial sweet delicious luxury to your hot water and lemon or drizzle over natural probiotic yoghurt packed full of friendly bacteria to help keep your gut healthy too. For an added mood booster sprinkle some sunflower seeds or crushed up brazil nuts for a crunchy feel good topping.
· Oregano – containing thymol and carvacrol which have remarkable bacteria fighting power can win the battle with the bugs. Oregano being a natural source of Omega 3, try a yummy dish of homemade winter warming tomato soup packed with vitamin C with a sprinkle of fresh oregano can also help boost your mood.
· Olive leaf liquid extract – this leaf from the olive tree is well known for its medicinal qualities and has 50% more antioxidants than green tea extract. And 400% greater antioxidant power than vitamin C. It is said to also have anti aging properties so perfect for looking and feeling younger!
· Grapefruit – rich in vitamin C and antioxidants and also helps the liver to detoxify. If you’ve not been part of ‘dry January’ this could be your newest tipple!
· Ginseng – helps to increase the activity of the white blood cells that fight bacterial and viral infections. Being the month of romance and lurve, Ginseng has been used through the ages as a natural aphrodisiac, fitting for a frisky Feb.
· Aloe Vera – a soothing anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antiviral tonic. Ooozing with essential vitamins A, B12, C, E and minerals such as selenium to help boost your mood and chromium to help curb your sugar cravings. Just the ticket to help you stick to all the healthy eating resolutions!
Health Tip Extra
Eat ‘in season’ fruit and vegetables
Winter delights include Cabbage, Red Cabbage, Cauliflower, Kale, Swede, Brussels sprouts, Celery, Leeks, Parsnips, Turnips, Celeriac, Beetroot, Rhubarb, Onions, Carrots, Mushrooms, Spinach, Garlic, Salad leaves, Apples and Pears. Hearty vegetable soups and a cheeky apple or pear crumble for some seasonal indulgence.
For those of you lucky people jetting off to exotic destinations don’t forget to take your essential travel companions, the ever faithful friendly bacteria.
· Bio Care's Travel Guard with live bacteria and plant oils is perfect for travellers to support digestive and intestinal health on the move. With a combination of plant oils such as clove, oregano and cinammon, they have high levels of phenols, antioxidants and terpenoids and a complex of probiotics (friendly bacteria) and garlic to help support the right balance of bacteria in your gut. This makes an ideal protector against ‘travellers tummy’ containing Lactobacillus acidophillus, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Bifidobacteriun lactis, Extra Virgin Cold - Pressed Olive Oil, Garlic Concentrate, Coconut Oil (providing lauric acid), Cinnamon Oil, Oregano Oil, Clove Oil, Ginger Oil and Rosemary Oil all in one duo cap capsule. It's suitable for vegetarians. Happy holidays!
For those not so lucky and braving the rest to the winter days in the colder or less sunny climates try a ‘sunshine vitamin’
· Bio Care's Vitasorb D (Liquid Vitmamin D 50iu) Containing 50iu Vitamin D in the most bio available form, so the body can easily take advantage of the maximum amount of this nutrient. Being a liquid it is perfect for those who may gave digestion or absorption difficulties. Each drop contains 12.5iu vitamin D and just taking up to 4 small drops per day, makes an ideal way for those who have difficulty swallowing or are fed up with taking too many pills. Vitamin D supports blood levels of calcium and phosphorus in the body, contributes to a normal function of the immune system, helps maintain healthy bones and teeth, supports normal cell division, is required for proper functioning and maintenance of muscle tissue and even helps maintain muscle function in ageing. Feel well and boost your anti ageing naturally!
I personally use Bio Care products and find them very effective.
I am happy to say that they are available from The Organic Store here in Dubai and The American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery Hospital, DHCC. If you have found them elsewhere or know where they are in stock in Dubai, please leave a comment and let everyone know!
Why not treat yourself to a restful relaxing lymphatic drainage massage to help rid the body of nasty toxins, help clear the snivelling sinuses and rid any persistent winter congestion to help you feel on top form in winter.
For more health tips, recipes and advice, enter your details below and follow me on social media!
Let me know in the comments, which ailments you experience during the winter months and any handy natural tips I haven't mentioned here.
Stay warm, well and healthy,